Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sterilizing the Probe
All probes must be cleaned and disinfected after each use. Cleaning is an important procedure that must be
carried out before disinfecting the probe. For information on cleaning and probe disinfection, please
refer to ‘Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sterilizing the Probe’ in the ‘Probes’ chapter of the user manual.
Using an inappropriate disinfectant may damage the probe.
- Always use protective equipment such as face mask, eyewear, and gloves when cleaning,
disinfecting, and sterilizing probes.
- Inspect the housing, strain relief, lens and seal for damage, and check for any functional
degradation after cleaning and disinfecting the probe.
- Using an inappropriate cleaning or disinfecting agent may damage the probe.
Information on Detergent, Disinfectant, and Ultrasound Gel
Reprocessing Method by Probe Type
Ultrasound probes are classified into Critical, Semi-critical or Non-critical devices based on the standards of FDA guidance* and the Hygiene Requirements for the Reprocessing of Medical Devices from Germany guideline of Robert Koch Institute (RKI). Therefore, you should use the cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization methods appropriate for each classification. Proper maintenance is also required to maintain the performance of ultrasound probes.
Choose the Correct Probe-Care Method in the Below Table
||Curved, Linear, and Phased array probes
||Low level disinfection
||Mucous membrane, damaged skin
||High level disinfection or sterilization
||Blood, sterile tissue, etc.
* Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff – Marketing Clearance of Diagnostic Ultrasound Systems and
Transducers - Appendix E
* The FDA reprocessing guidance ‘Reprocessing Medical Devices in Health Care Settings: Validation Methods
and Labeling, Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff’ March 17, 2015,
The care method for your probes determines the appropriate disinfectant to use for your probe. An appropriate
detergent, disinfectant or ultrasound gel should be used for all probes. For details about compatible
detergent, disinfectants, and ultrasound gel, please see ‘Disinfectants Matrix’ on Samsung Medison website
and the User Guide.
※ All disinfection methods for Semi-critical probes that are marked with ◆ in the attached Excel file have been validated by Samsung Medison for biological effectiveness.
- User Guide: This is provided as a booklet upon purchase of the product.
- Disinfectants_Matrix List: Please refer to the attached Excel file.